Thursday, September 19, 2013

Just what I needed

I love my horse.  LOVE HIM.  He is just what I need in my life right now, for so many reasons I won't get into.

GREAT flatwork session tonight.  I thought it might be a little dodgy because it was cool and windy, and he seemed distracted initially, but he settled down and worked really hard for me.  Long story short: good walking warmup moving off the leg into the contact, good trot work (same stuff), and we had a great, crisp walk to right lead canter transition!  Took a couple of attempts, but he got it!  He's getting that right lead canter quicker and quicker.  He had two before that as well, but I didn't give him enough leg to sustain - more of a one step on the right lead then fell out.  Still praised him though, as that first step is the hardest.  But that one transition was very solid, and he cantered off into a nice right lead.  He worked well both directions at the canter (kept that short), and then back down to the trot.  He is really learning to carry himself well at the trot now - no weight at all in my hands.  I am just amazed at how incredibly soft his mouth is.  I do not touch the reins on this horse - just squeeze with my lower leg and he seeks the bit and finds the contact at whatever length of rein.  He's able to carry himself in a nice, soft outline on the bit a little longer each time as he gets stronger, and he just feels to well connected during those moments.  It really blows my mind, when I stop to think about how much he has learned in such a short time.

After the ride was just as fun.  It is so nice right now to just hang out in the quiet barn, just Soon and I, and he's happy to do that, and let me spoil him.  Just having those little moments mean so much to me at this point in my life, I can't really put it into words.

No comments:

Post a Comment