Tuesday, February 10, 2015

On the move again

Soonie loaded up and arrived yesterday at the new barn, just a couple hours down the road from where we lived.  He walked right on and from what I can tell had an easy, short trip; I got to the barn as the shipper was pulling out and Bubba was in his stall settling in.  He does very well when he moves, and even fresh off the trailer the most upset he got was calling some (he was the only horse in the barn, all the others were turned out) and doing his occasional little "I'm angry" kick out with a hind leg.  I spent some time with him and he settled almost immediately into his hay net and stopped calling.  He was content and relaxed when I left to return to work, and when I got there a few hours later, he was totally chill and looked like he had lived there for awhile.  :)

The fields were covered in ice this morning, so I was happy to hear from the barn owner early on asking if he could be turned out in the indoor for awhile, since she was unsure if they'd make it outside.  I happily accepted, and was even happier to show up this evening to a muddy pony!  It was great that the staff put the horses outside when things thawed out.  This barn is a little smaller, which is nice as it makes adjustments possible on the fly, and the horses benefit.  Bubba's stall was also bedded deeply with shavings up in this corners, his hay net stuffed and his water freshly topped off.  Those are little touches that made me feel great about the move.  I was thrilled to see Soon seemingly all settled this evening as well!  He was totally relaxed and happy, and his usual sleepy self.  We did a light walk/trot ride in the indoor as well, and zero shits were given.  I could feel him figuring out the footing (which is deep in places), but other than that he felt great undersaddle.  :)

Photo time!

First stroll around the ring last night, chain was not necessary ;)


Awake!

Asleep

First ride

Happy boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment