Sunday, February 22, 2015

No words for the loss of a great horse...

I heard from a close friend that a mutual close friend of ours lost her horse today unexpectedly.  It is a tragic loss of a great partner; our whole circle of friends is shocked and saddened by his loss.  I don't have sufficient words to describe what it feels like to lose a horse suddenly; having being there myself, I know it is horrible and there is a flood of emotions when it finally hits after the numbness and shock retreat.  I am sitting here tonight grieving for my friend, and in part myself, because I think we all loved that big grey guy for his beauty, athleticism, and antics.  He had a bounding sense of humor!  Most importantly, I think we all envied the relationship they shared.  He was a homebred, one of the last of the family breeding operation.  They grew up together.  I am sick over the thought of such a truly wonderful person losing such a wonderful horse in the manner that it happened.


Rest in peace, Per-Bear.  You made everyone smile, and I hope you're up there galloping around in Heaven and spooking at being in the front.


I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you again...
(James Taylor, "Fire and Rain")


On one hand, I went to the barn today intending to spend a little extra cuddling time with Soonie in an effort to appreciate him a little extra.  I appreciate every little moment and thanks to our little accident last month, am especially thankful lately for every day that I come to the barn and he is happy and healthy.  As one of my friends said recently, that is a blessing.  But on the other hand, I did feel pretty numb.  I had to remind myself to stop and just enjoy being around a happy, healthy Soon instead of going through the motions.  We had a great ride, despite him having the last four days off between my work promotion stuff and the low temperatures.  He was perfect as usual.  It was a beautiful day.  I gave him extra carrots, kisses, and hugs (he only really cared about the carrots), and got to enjoy watching him interact with his new turnout buddies.  There's Sammy, another off the track Thoroughbred gelding, and Sofee, a Thoroughbred mare who has decided that Soon is way more interesting than Sammy is (at least for now) and is attached to Soon wherever he goes.  Soon does not seem to care either way.  But just seeing Soonie out there, being a horse and enjoying other horses' company made my heart feel better.  I smiled.  :)

Soonie with his new girlfriend, Sofee

"Hey Carrot Lady, where have you been!"

He was happy to take a stroll outside

This is the best view in the world

Sleeps, doing what he does best after the ride ;)

Sofee LOVES Soonie

LOVES HIM

No comments:

Post a Comment