Monday, July 22, 2019

In Hand Work

Introduced Sig to working in hand today.  I wanted to start working on turn on the forehand and begin confirming the leg yield, both of which are good to do in hand.

Overall he was really super.  Did a quick refresh of the turn on the forehand cue on the ground, really focusing on his inside hind leg stepping under.  After that, I began teaching him how to walk with me at his side in the in hand configuration.  Initially he was very unsure about me walking behind his shoulder, but he only needed a little encouragement and praise and he got the idea very quickly.  It was good to see how nice his walk can be when he starts coming through and lifting his back.  He was soft in the bridle and was definitely picking up on the concepts quickly. 

We then did an easy flat school.  I cantered a littler earlier in the ride and it definitely resulted in a softer, more willing horse in the trot afterward.  Overall it was a super pleasant day and full of nice little moments for this guy.  So smart!


I just found this video about three minutes ago, but this is an excellent demonstration of good, basic in hand work:


No comments:

Post a Comment