Saturday, October 19, 2019

First Fall

Had my first fall off Sig today. 

He was PERFECT earlier out flatting in the field. No tension,  nicely forward and swinging, stretching well in the walk/trot, and gave me a lovely, soft canter.  I was totally loving how he went.  This was great.

Then I decided I should go back into the indoor to grab my jacket and phone.  This was stupid.

Upon walking back through the lesson barn (high enough ceilings,  dirt aisleway), something we do almost daily, something spooked Sig and he wheeled.  Hard.  Normally I can sit those just fine (to be fair, Sig has never really done that...he's more of a slow wheel or stop/stare kind of spooker not a hard spin type), but not today.

I landed on my left knee and couldn't hold him.  Tore up my knee pretty well on the gravel, it looks like I lost a fight with a cheese grater.  Bloodied myself up pretty nicely...

Sig seemed unsettled and I had to follow him around the barn in order to catch him.  When he finally came back to me he seemed upset.  I felt bad, I'm not sure anyone has fallen off him like that before.  Snuggled with him for a few seconds.  We went back through the barn, I remounted in the indoor,  did a quick trot/canter to refocus him, and called it a day.  Walked back out through that barn one more time (with no issues)  to build confidence and to finish our hack.  He was fine.

Poor kid didn't understand.  It was not his fault and I felt terrible. 



No comments:

Post a Comment